Home PageFrequently Asked Questions

The following information is intended to give the Town Residents further information about some of the services and general information about the Town and are subject periodic change.

Where is the Town Hall?
South of the Village of Winter approximately 1+ mile on (Main Street) County Road W.  Office hours are Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs 8 am to 4 pm--lunch hour noon to 1

When are the Board Meetings?
Town board meetings are held MONTHLY on the second Wednesday of each month, starting at 4:30 p.m.  Agendas are published in the Sawyer County Gazette and posted at least 24 hours in advance of the meeting at the Winter Co-op, Winter Post Office,  Sawyer County Gazette and the Town Hall. 

What are the Town Hall Office Hours?
Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. We are willing to accommodate other hours if necessary, (Other hours available by appointment, please call to arrange 715-266-3131).  Lunch hour ~  Noon to 1:00

Where do I register to vote?  Where do I vote?
At the Town Hall

Where do I get a license for my dog? 
At the Town Hall.  Dogs only need apply. 

Who is the Town’s assessor?
Bowmar Appraisal
>Assessor Firm Bowmar Appraisal Inc Address PO Box 170 Minocqua WI 54548 Phone 715-577-1875
What are the recycle center hours?

Summer hours, May 1st to August 31  Monday & Wednesday - 8 a.m. to noon, Sat 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Winter hours, Sept 1 to April 30 -  Wednesday 8 a.m. to noon, Sat 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.


Can I pay my second half taxes at the Town Hall?

We’d prefer you send them directly to the Sawyer County Treasurer.  Real Estate taxes are collected at the Town Hall only through the end of January.  After Jan 31, they must be sent to the Sawyer County Treasurer, P.O. Box 935, Hayward, WI  54843.  Personal Property taxes, however,  are always paid to the Town Treasurer.

Can I pay my taxes with a credit card?

I need a bartender’s license.
See requirements and download application in Forms & Permits page.

Are Town Roads open as ATV trails?

Several are....Contact the town hall if in question.  Open roads are signed by the ATV clubs--if it's not signed, it's closed. 

Are Town Roads open to snowmobile traffic?
The Town Board has passed the snowmobile access law which allows snowmobiles to run on town roads from residence or lodging to the nearest trail.

How do I contact the local power company/telephone company?   North Central Power - 715-266-3411
CenturyLink New service 1-800-201-4099   Repair 1-800-824-2877






Monday through Thursday,  8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
lunch hour ~  noon to 1:00


Highway Shop location:  W6222 State Highway 70--approximately 3/4 mi east of Hwy 70/Cty W intersection
in Village of Winter, north side of Hwy 70.


SSC Solid Waste collection site for garbage and recycleables
Located on County Road W,  1/2 mile south of the Village of Winter.

Site Hours are as follows:

  • Summer Hours - May 1 through Aug 30
    Mon and Wed - 8 a.m. to noon
    Sat - 8 a.m to 2 p.m.
  • Winter Hours - Sept 1 through April 30
    Wed - 8 a.m. to noon
    Sat - 8 a.m to 2 p.m.

Dispose of aluminum and tin cans, glass, plastic bottles, newspaper and cardboard free of charge in recycle dumpsters.  White goods (appliances) disposed for nominal charge year round.  For specific disposal questions, call Town Clerk.

Dispose of garbage ONLY in APPROVED SSC Solid Waste bags sold at the site and at the Winter Co-op.  $1.25 - 13 gal bag, $2.50 - 32 gal bag

June cleanup held every year during month of June.  Old furniture, rugs, mattresses -- most items accepted.  Private only; no commercial.  Charges determined by site custodian at time of disposal.  NO TIRES OR SHINGLES ACCEPTED EVER!


The Town will plow private driveways for $3.00 per minute of plowing time.  A one time $15 deposit fee is required to establish a contract.  Plowing time is billed to the property owner sometime in the summer following the plowing season.  Contact Town Clerk for more information 715-266-3131.